How to Get Rid of Mold Mites at Home Before They Become a Problem

Michael Rubino

June 17

Mold mites actually exist in real life... Here's what you need to know to ensure they don't colonize inside of your home!

You probably know that washing and changing your sheets frequently can help ward off dust mites, one of the most common household pests that can wreak havoc on allergies. But did you know there’s another type of microscopic mite—the mold mite—that’s common in households and thrives in damp areas like kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements?

Mold mites are tiny, just 0.3–0.4 microns in size, so you’ll probably never see a single mite with your naked eye, says Michael Rubino, a mold and air-quality expert, environmental wellness advocate, and founder of HomeCleanse. However, as mold mites proliferate and their population increases in the problem area, their colonies may become visible. Mold mite colonies look like white or tan dotted clusters, and they frequently appear in moist areas or near food products.

“A small patch of mold can be home to thousands of these tiny mites,” says Rubino, who is also president of Change the Air Foundation and host of the Never Been Sicker podcast.

If you have any mold in your house, you likely also have mold mites that are feeding on it. You'll want to make sure you address the issue as soon as you're aware of it to prevent any potential health risks. Here's what the experts say on how to tell if your home has mold mites, to get rid of mold mites, and how to prevent them in the future.

Read the full article here: